Litter boxes are generally well accepted by most cats. Consider the following tips:
- Confine cat with box initially
- Provide easy access in a quiet location
- Use unscented litter, either scoopable or regular.
- Clean or scoop the box daily.
- The number of boxes recommended by experts is one per cat plus one (i.e. 2 cats=3 boxes).
The key to preventing bad litter box behavior is: Do not give cats any reasons for not wanting to use the box. Pregnant women should be cautious cleaning litter boxes because of Toxoplasmosis; it is best to have a non-pregnant family member clean and change the litter box.
Do not play aggressively with kittens or cats; some will learn this behavior and escalate in aggression. It then won’t be so cute. Redirect the play behavior away form hands and body (fetch, fishing pole type toys, etc.)